Friday, March 30, 2012

Pursuing Seminary: 567 questions to inventory my personality

After I finished all the online psych tests, next up was the MMPI-2 (Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2), a 567 true/false question test. The test was proctored at a psych office in New Brighton, which is apparently where all seminary prospects go to get psych-tested. It took me an hour and twenty minutes. Could have been done in less than half that time if it were electronic, but no, they require old-fangled #2 pencil and bubble-sheet answers.

Here are some example true/false questions from the test: (these are easily findable on the internet, so I'm not worried about divulging trade secrets)

  1. I like mechanics magazines
  2. I have a good appetite
  3. I wake up fresh & rested most mornings
  4. I think I would like the work of a librarian
  5. I am easily awakened by noise
  6. I like to read newspaper articles on crime
  7. My hands and feet are usually warm enough
  8. My daily life is full of things that keep me interested
  9. I am about as able to work as I ever was
  10. There seems to be a lump in my throat much of the time
  11. A person should try to understand his dreams and be guided by or take warning from them
  12. I enjoy detective or mystery stories
  13. I work under a great deal of tension
  14. I have diarrhea once a month or more
  15. Once in a while I think of things too bad to talk about

Of course, my favorites were the ones later on, things like, "I hear voices" and stuff.

The results from this test are interpreted by the psychologist, with whom I met on March 14th. That's coming in a later blog post.

No comments: