Wednesday, December 12, 2012

"Punch 1 on the old speed dial"

I'm working my way through the complete series of Stargate SG-1. In the episode I'm currently watching, Colonel O'Neill, in describing the current crisis to General Hammond, suggests the General might want to "punch 1 on the old speed dial" (his assumption being that speed dial #1 goes straight to the President). General Hammond's response is priceless: "My grandchildren?"

This is priceless for two reasons: first off, it's comedic relief. More importantly in my mind, though, what a wonderful role model this man is, that, even though he's a high-ranking, decorated, career military officer, his family comes first. This isn't the first time we've seen General Hammond put his family above his career, either. And it just warms my heart.

Back to Stargate now.

1 comment:

Crow said...

That series is still a benchmark that should be followed in a lot of things. One can actually see a sort of evolution of our civilization as the series progresses and then moves on into SG Atlantis and then SG Universe... I'm very happy that you are watching it.